Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Safari Time!

Genesis 1:31


This past weekend, Julie and I had the wonderful opportunity to go on a “safari!” We ventured up to Nakuru Lake and Game Park, which was about 2 hours away from Kisumu.  We went with our friends who I have mentioned before, John and Connie.   Let me tell you, these two are a hoot. Non-stop laughter the whole weekend. My body literally hurt from laughing so hard. Is it weird that they are like my new best friends? And did I mention that they are in their 50’s?! Ha, I have seriously had an absolute blast getting to know them. They bring so much joy to my life and I am beyond thankful that I have met them. The two of them have taught me so much in the last 4 weeks. They just left Kenya yesterday for some much needed family time in England and in the States, and it was kind of hard to say goodbye to them. It is a sad and strange feeling to think that I might not see them again when they have become such a part of me. Sounds corny, but really, I can’t describe how much they mean to me. Connie is from Texas so I am bound and determined to see them again…maybe in Texas. Orrrrr, maybe I’ll just have to venture back to Kenya someday! Darn ; ) Anyway, enough blubbering, I’ll get on with the safari business.




Best Friends ; )

It was a beautiful drive to Nakuru. We drove up past Kericho which is an area filled with tea fields. It is incredible the amount of tea that you see in this area and it is so pretty!  Everyone and their dog drinks tea in Kenya so it was cool to actually see the fields and also the men and women who work so hard to keep the tea coming.
Sweeeeeet.    
 
We arrived to the Nakuru area and checked into our hotel…which was awesome. I truly felt like I was on an exotic vacation. We unloaded, had some lunch and were off to enter the park. As we were driving towards the entrance, I was looking over by some trees and spotted 2 lionesses! They were probably no more than a mile from our camp…Yikes!  But it was definitely an awesome way to start our safari!

Zebras everywhere! They like to pose for me when I take pictures : )
 
When we reached the gate, we accidentally left a window open when we went to pay. In no time at all, a baboon had entered our vehicle and ransacked the place. Luckily we didn’t have much in there so nothing was taken or too damaged. Just a little dirty and disheveled.  The baboons were everywhere in the park, big and small. These things are terribly mean and have literally been known to bite people’s face off (it’s true…google it). There was a bunch of them by a picnic table so I thought it would be fun to sit at the table and get a picture with them. Well, let’s just say, the baboons weren’t having it. Below is the only picture that was taken with the baboons. Just as they were snapping the picture, a baboon came up behind me and literally hit me on the back of the leg. I don’t think he liked me at his table. Ha, as you can see, I was a little terrified so I skidaddled.


If you look closely, you can see the feisty little furball behind me by my legs and feet.
 
That first afternoon, we drove our own car around. We saw lots of different birds, including hundreds and hundreds of pink flamingos (Lake Nakuru is known for its flamingos). It is a bird watchers paradise. Maybe when I reach my 70’s I’ll make it an annual trip ; ) We saw zebras, water buffalo, giraffes, HUGE rhinos, monkeys, gazelles, water bucks, antelope things, etc. It is really breathtaking to see these animals in their own environment. I always have loved going to the zoo, but I don’t think it will ever be the same again. It is awesome to be in the wild with these animals. John thought it would be fun to get as close as possible to the rhinos…like the baboons, they weren’t having it. It didn’t take long for the biggest one to get up and warn us to leave the area. So we took heed and went on our way : )

Massive beasts    
 
Beautiful pink flamingos everywhere
The next morning we woke up and had a driver take us around. We went to different parts of the park and saw some more animals like Pumba (warthog) and some dreadful hyenas. Sick…not my favorite animal. The top of the jeep was completely open so it was fun just to take it all in from up above. Sadly we never got to see anymore lions, but we were thankful that we saw some on the way in.


And I got down-hearted...how did you feel?...Everytime that I...Pumbaa, not in front of the kids...Oh, sorry! Hakuna Matata!
big water buffalo everywhere. thought this picture was funny.
 
Over this awesome weekend, I realized that I often find myself getting so used to everything around me that is normal that I sometimes forget the immense beauty of God’s creation. I love going to Colorado because I am in awe of the mountains. When I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time last year, I was speechless. When my family went to Mexico last December, it was hard for me to fathom the gorgeousness and vastness of the ocean. Being in Kenya and being surrounded by the beauty of the country and the wildness of the animals, I am being reminded of God’s love for us.  He made all this for US. He made it for us to sit back, relax, and enjoy. He made it so that we might look at it and see His awesomeness : ) He made it so that we can declare His splendor and glory. 

"Oh Lord, when I consider the heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars which you have set in place, what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care for them?
Psalm 8:3-4


Ummm, maybe still questioning why this creepy thing was created...

cute little mama and baby

  It was a great weekend. With only one week left, it was a nice way to spend one of my last weekends in Kenya. While I didn’t come to Africa to see animals, I was so thankful that I got to experience it. 

more beautiful zebras. their stripes get me every time.

again...the animals just like to pose for me.

For all you Facebook users, I will be posting more photos from the safari on Facebook (probably not until I get home, but sometime for sure). So, if this didn’t satisfy you, there will be more coming : )


"How many are your works, oh Lord! In wisdom You made them all. The earth is full of Your creatures." 
Psalm 104:24

No comments:

Post a Comment